As the last part of The Pasta Trilogy, I decided to attempt making a “cheesy” sauce. When I was an omnivore I was addicted to cheese. As a new vegan I’ve tried to stay away from substitutes; I’ve found that they just make me crave those old things even more (even when I now feel disgusted by the idea of eating eggs, and meat, and even fish). Anyhow, I think it was about time for me to try to make something cheese-inspired. This recipe has some resemblance to a cheesy sauce, only that it’s better… I mean, because its vegan, right?
Ingredients (for 3-4)
- 1 package of (vegan) fusilli.
- ½ cup cashews (soaked overnight and drained. If you didn’t have time to do this, 2 hours soaking in hot water should do the trick).
- ½ cup of roasted peanuts.
- 1 large yellow pepper, chopped.
- ½ onion, chopped.
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped.
- ½ cup soy milk, unsweetened (more or less)
- Spices: salt and black pepper to taste, 1 teaspoon of turmeric.
- Optional: nutritional yeast, oregano.
- In a high speed blender add the cashews, peanuts, garlic, onion, soy milk (gradually, until achieving the desired texture), turmeric, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until making a sauce.
- Cook the fusilli as per the package’s instructions. Once they are ‘al dente’ remove from the stove (leaving it on) and drain placing in a strainer.
- Add the blended sauce into the still hot pasta pot and heat up for about 1 minute. Add the nutritional yeast (2 tablespoons) and mix for an extra minute.
- Return the fusilli into the pot, now with the heating sauce, and mix well until all the fusilli are covered and ‘dyed’ with the sauce. Remove from the stove.
- Plating: serve while hot and sprinkle some oregano on top.