For a while I had a roommate that wanted to try out being a vegan. Unfortunately, he had some issues dealing with spicy food. A few days before he moved in, I had just bought different types of curry pastes, so I didn’t get the opportunity to use them. After 2 months of (allegedly) eating only vegan food, he decided to no longer eat vegan. So, I was finally able to use my curry pastes!!! This was my first experiment using a red curry paste. There wasn’t much planning. I just used a bunch of left over veggies I had prepared the day before for a sushi party. Hope you guys and girls enjoy this one…
Ingredients (for 3-4 people depending on size) Note: all vegetables and herbs should be chopped unless otherwise specified.
- ½ red pepper
- ½ green pepper
- ½ yellow pepper
- ½ orange pepper
- ½ carrot
- ½ cucumber
- ½ can of hearts of palms
- 1 small sweet potato
- 4-5 asparagus
- 5-8 shiitake mushrooms
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms
- ¼ small red cabbage
- 1 can coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons of red curry paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Soy sauce.
- Herbs: chives and green onions to taste, chopped.
- Spices: salt, black pepper and turmeric to taste.
- 1 cup of soft dates, pitted. (If the dates are not soft, after you take the pits out, put them in a small bowl with hot water for about 10 minutes. Then drain).
- In a medium size pot put all chopped vegetables, garlic and herbs.
- Put to medium heat and start stirring while also adding the spices, red curry paste, and a splash of soy sauce (just a little bit please!).
- After steam starts to build up add the can of coconut cream, stir well and let simmer at medium heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Serving: Serve while hot. Ideally, accompany with some rice. In the picture I used some white garlic rice and garnished with some cucumber slices.